New Camper Requirements
All interested students must submit short answers on the application as well as meet certain other requirements:
- The applicant must be nominated by a Texas Chapter of The Wildlife Society member, teacher, county extension agent, youth leader, natural resource professional, or local Farm Bureau.
- Campers are high school-aged students who must have completed their first year of high school by this summer.
- They MUST send a confidential letter (1 page or less) to email@example.com before the student will be considered for acceptance. The letter should indicate whether or not the student has:
- A strong interest in natural sciences and in outdoor activities, and be highly motivated.
- Average (or above) grades in natural sciences and mathematics.
- A flexible and tolerant attitude about occasional adverse conditions, such as rain, heat, humidity, or insects.
- An ability to communicate with diverse groups of people, including faculty, other participants, and guest instructors.
- A desire or plan to attend college.
- They will be asked short answer questions, such as:
- What outdoor activity do you like the most and why?
- List your achievements, honors, awards, and/or participation in school, church, community organizations, clubs, etc.
- Do you plan to attend college when you graduate?
- Following completion of the camp they will be required to give educational presentations.
- Finally they will be required to write a short essay.